04 October 2011

Long Trip Blues

This was not a good day.  By now, both boys were sick, and we could tell we were getting it, too.  Still, the hubby and I managed to be up plenty early, and made ourselves busy with the packing, as we were headed to Yosemite.  The boys, surprisingly, slept in.

We checked out and were on our way.  This was the part of the trip I had most looked forward to, but now, all I wanted was a plane ticket home.

The traffic was terrible, almost a standstill in places.  Unlike the quirky, Southern California surfer vibe of Long Beach, the drive north through the L.A. area was gross.  Abandoned and rundown buildings, graffiti, and garbage.  Everywhere, garbage.  Does anybody there care that nobody seems to care?

None of us were looking forward to more hours in the van.  Our oldest was bored and sad that all his friends were already almost an hour further down the road.  It was insanely hot outside.  And still, the road stretched on.

The road narrowed and was one curve followed by another.  I'm sure it was pretty, but I couldn't tell.  I had to focus directly ahead of us.  Motion sickness, again.

Finally Yosemite and the giant sequoias.  I had so been looking forward to some sequoias.  Even they didn't help.  We took some pictures to enjoy later and moved on.  It was time to end the day relaxing at a beautiful, historic inn.

That didn't turn out as planned either, but that's a story for another post.

No comments: